The Division of Pediatric Cardiology provides excellence in the care of the fetus, infant, child and adult with congenital heart disease. The division provides the most comprehensive pediatric and congenital cardiology services for the children and adults in the region.
The multidisciplinary cardiology team includes perinatal and fetal medicine, preventive medicine, adult and pediatric medicine, diagnostic cardiology, noninvasive assessment, interventional cardiology, surgical care and postoperative management.
Comprehensive management of congenital and acquired heart disease
- Arrhythmias and conduction abnormalities
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Cardiac surgical services
- Chest pain
- Congenital heart diseases
- Connective tissue diseases
- Family sudden cardiac death
- Fetal diagnosis and care
- Heart murmur
- Kawasaki disease and other causes of myocarditis
- Sports physicals
Adult congenital cardiology
- Comprehensive cardiac care
- Diagnostic evaluations specific to surgical history
- Lifelong care plans
- Maternal – fetal health
- Pre-surgical evaluations
Full-service cardiac catheterization lab
- Diagnostic evaluations in a biplane lab dedicated to children
- State-of-the-art interventional procedures utilizing balloon angioplasty, stents, implantable devices and lasers
- Balloon dilation of coarctations, stenotic valves, etc.
- ASD, VSD, PDA and other vascular closures
- Providing care for infants, children and adults with congenital heart disease
- Cardiac MRI and CT angiography
- Fetal consults by a pediatric cardiologist with advanced imaging fellowship training
- Intracardiac echocardiography during catherization
- Only pediatric echocardiography lab in Virginia accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories for transthoracic, transesophageal and fetal echo studies
- Cloud-based (Web-based) echo interpretation available at satellite locations
Other non-invasive diagnostic tests
- 24-hour ECG monitors, event recorders
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring
- Cardiac event recorders
- Exercise and pharmacologic stress testing with physiologic gas analysis
- Pacemaker/defibrillator placement and management
- Tilt-table testing
The Virginia Congenital Cardiac Consortium, a proud partnership with the University of Virginia, sees some of Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU’s smallest cardiac patients with often the most difficult, rare and critical needs. The program is run by Dr. Jay Gangemi, Central Virginia’s only cardiac surgeon specifically trained in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery.
Gangemi works closely with a skilled team of pediatric anesthesiologists, heart and lung pump technicians, pediatric intensivists and pediatric cardiologists.
Comprehensive arrhythmia care is provided in coordination with the electrophysiology division of VCU Medical Center.
Pediatric cardiologists provide transtelephonic echocardiographic services in Richmond, Newport News and Fredericksburg.
We strive to deliver excellence in service to our community of referring physicians by communicating promptly and comprehensively. To maximally serve this goal, the members of our division work together without boundaries. We strive to promote a healthy working environment realizing the indistinguishable contributions of our professional, technical and support staff in attaining our goal of excellence in service.